Shortcakes (aka biscuits) + macerated strawberries + whipped cream = one of life’s greatest desserts. Even without the carbs. Like many amazing gluten-free treats, this recipe relies on almond flour. For the best biscuit texture and taste, make sure you get the blanched and finely ground stuff. And for more sweet inspiration, check out our 50+ gluten-free desserts.
blanched finely ground almond flour
cold butter, cubed
large cold egg whites
pure vanilla extract
Pinch of kosher salt
- Make shortcakes: Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse almond flour, sweetener, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Add butter and pulse until butter is about pea size. Add egg whites and pulse until combined. Butter will be in tiny little pieces, which is okay.
- Using an ice cream scoop or measuring cup, scoop 4 shortcakes evenly spaced on prepared baking sheet. Bake until light golden and dough bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet.
- Make berries: In a medium bowl, toss berries with sweetener. Let sit while you beat cream.
- Make whipped cream: In a large bowl using a handheld mixer, beat heavy cream, sweetener, vanilla, and a pinch of salt until medium peaks form.
- Slice shortcakes in half and place bottoms on 4 plates. Top each bottom with a spoonful of berries. Top berries with whipped cream. Close sandwich. Over top of shortcakes spoon remaining berries and whipped cream.
Nutrition (per serving): 416 calories, 11 g protein, 17 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 37 g fat, 15 g saturated fat, 292 mg sodium, 3 g sugar alcohol