Butter chicken is your favorite Indian take-out dish that you can now make faster than delivery. Full of flavor, this dish will become a weekly staple. Chicken thighs become extremely tender under all the sauce that you'll want to soak up with plenty of naan.
Some people have found that this recipe is best with additional water. You can add 3/4 cup when you add the water with the chicken, which should help prevent the burn notice from coming on.
large onion, diced
freshly grated ginger
cloves garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
(6-oz.) can tomato paste
boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
Rice, for serving
Naan, for serving
Yogurt, for serving
Cilantro, for serving
- Preheat Instant Pot to Sauté setting. Once heated, add oil and butter then add onion, ginger and garlic. Let sear until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, mixing constantly until it is darkened in color, about 3 minutes.
- Add ½ cup water, chicken, and spices to the pot, and season with salt and pepper. Seal lid and set to Pressure Cook on High for 5 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then follow manufacturer's instructions for quick releasing remaining steam.
- Stir in heavy cream and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve with rice, naan, yogurt, and cilantro.