Pop tarts are essentially just adorable mini hand pies. And though their sweetness aligns more with the dessert category, we don’t judge anyone who prefers to eat them for breakfast. This gluten-free crust relies on a combination of almond flour, coconut flour, and xanthan gum. To keep the pastries keto-friendly, use Swerve granular and sugar-free jam for the filling, as well as Swerve confectioners for the vanilla glaze.
(1 stick) cold butter, cubed
large egg, beaten
Egg wash, for brushing
plus 1 teaspoon heavy cream
pure vanilla extract
- Make crust: In a food processor, pulse together almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. Add butter and pulse until mostly pea- sized, then add egg and pulse just until incorporated. Remove from food processor and pat into a smooth flat disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Place chilled dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll into an 11-inch square, about 1⁄4 inch thick. If dough cracks, pinch it back together. Place dough on a large baking sheet and place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut dough into 8 rectangles that are about 2 1⁄2 inches wide and 5 1⁄2 inches long. Spoon 1 tablespoon jam onto each of 4 rectangles and spread into an even layer, leaving a 1⁄2-inch border around edges. Top with remaining 4 rectangles and use a fork to crimp edges. Return to freezer for 15 minutes. If dough starts to stick or is too warm, you can place back in freezer first before crimping.
- Brush with an egg wash and bake until golden and edges start to feel firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Make glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together sweetener, heavy cream, and vanilla. Spread over center of cooled pop tarts.
Nutrition (per serving): 570 calories, 13 g protein, 46 g carbohydrates, 7 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 51 g fat, 19 g saturated fat, 211 mg sodium, 33 g sugar alcohol